In 2012, it appears I started 97 books, finished 86 books, am currently still reading 6 books (some far more actively than others), have 3 “on pause,” and have given up on 2 books.
The two assorted places to find good first approximations of which books I read in 2012:
Open Library has 10 more books and I could go in and pull out those I failed to finish or still have ongoing but I am not going to. As for books I fully finished, goodreads is pretty darn accurate.
- Fiction: 13
- Nonfiction: 12
- Poetry: 32
- Graphic Novels: 29
- Continued from 2011: 1 poetry, 2 nonfiction
- Rereads: 1 fiction and 1poetry 2x in same year (but only counted once) (Moonstone and Blueshifting)
- Ebooks: 3 fiction, 4 poetry
- Still reading: 3 fiction, 4 nonfiction, 1 ebook
- On Pause: 1 each fiction, nonfiction, poetry
- Gave Up: 2 nonfiction
- Books by male authors: 52
- Books by female authors: 27
- Books by multiple authors: 7 [too lazy to differentiate this year]
Same author, multiple books:
- Mike Carey & Peter Gross: 5 graphic novels
- Gail Carriger: 4 fiction and 1 manga
- Joe Wilkins: 2 poetry
- Hubert & Kerascoët: 2 graphic novels
- mpMann (with different people): 2 graphic novels
Previous Books Read posts
- Books Read in 2011
- Books Read in 2010
- Books Read in 2009
- Books Read in the 2nd half of 2008
- Books Read in the 1st half of 2008 (and some)
- Books Read in 2007
- Books Read in 2006
What are my reading plans for 2013?
I really have no idea. I plugged in 50 as the number of books I will read at the goodreads challenge for 2013 but only because that ought be easily doable. I want to back away from so much poetry. I coarsely gave a reason why on my review of Adrienne Rich’s Later Poems at goodreads and I may write about my reasons here. Or I may not. I do want to devote more time to reading about poetry–I have several books I should dip into already–and I should work more on writing a few more poems myself. But reading the poetry of others is doing little for me right now.
This is the first year in several that I am not entering the year already embarked on a specific reading challenge. My physical To Read shelves are literally overflowing and they do not include many others already in our possession that I want to read, nor those in goodreads marked as Want to Read, nor those I will come across, and so on. I really need to get my physical To Read shelf(s) under control so I hope to do a better job at that.
I also have a couple new personal learning projects in various states of formality that I am undertaking so some of my reading will be concentrated there. More on those later.
Otherwise, for now, I have no specific plans for reading in 2013. Except to do it!