I got a quick IM from a friend the other night wondering how I was doing as I have been quiet lately.
Yes. Yes I have.
There are a lot of reasons for this. Some of it is lack of time to do all the things I’d like to. There are probably other reasons, too, in certain domains. But the two bigs one are lack of time and the fact that I haven’t exactly been very positive about much of anything lately. This has kept me very quiet.
As much as I may like to complain I do not enjoy burdening my friends with my gripes. And some of the things I have complaints about are very few people’s business anyway.
Another part of it is that being on the job market I must really watch what I say and do. It breaks my heart to even think such thoughts but I can be realistic. [Actually, I think I am far more realistic than most people realize, but that is another issue.]
This is a time when I probably need my friends more than normal. Yet, I have slipped back into my shell anyway. And then that cycle gets exacerbated.
For instance, Anna Creech noticed that I had linked to one of her older posts and the link was broken in some blog maintenance that she had done so she sent me an email with the new link. I greatly appreciated that and fully meant to write her back and thank her. But I haven’t yet.
I installed a plugin to find broken links a while back and eventually it found 680-some odd broken links. [68x broken links out of 93x posts is quite disheartening.] I had fixed a couple of links already but when I fixed Anna’s the count immediately started going down. Rapidly. I tracked the downward progress over the next 18 or so hours and it got down to 196.
And then it started going back up again. After another 2 days or so it was back up to 680. Gah! I watched all this and took notes as it went down and then up again. All of this took longer than I had meant to take to write Anna a thank you note, though. When it all finally stabilized I was feeling bad for not responding to Anna yet. And so I haven’t.
I know it makes no sense. But there it is. [I do hope to write Anna before posting this.]
I have watched another friend come out of their shell and seem to flourish lately which does my heart no end of good. So I have left them alone due to my negativity lack of positivity. Not something they need right now.
I am also applying to jobs. I hate applying to jobs. I spent 20+ years in the Army to avoid just this. I have been in school for the past 10 years, some of which was possibly to continue avoiding this. I have no issues with working, only with applying for work.
I have lots of disappointments in my life and the whole process is full of disappointments. So not so much fun (as most might well agree). It seems funny but whenever I have spent a while somewhere many of the folks come to really appreciate having me around. My current workmates seem to want me to stay (as usual) but they have no job to offer me. I in no way look forward to having to go on interviews and “peddle my flesh.” My flesh is not worth peddling. It is my heart and soul (and mind) that you want. And I am incapable of showing you that in an interview. Well, perhaps not incapable but certainly recommended that I not try.
Alright. Mark, stop!
I promised myself this would not get out of hand but it has already. [And, yes, I cut lots out; multiple times.]
Let me just say:
- I am tired.
- I am sore, always.
- I am stuck in my own head with no one to help sort out the messes.
- I am really scared that my intermittent illness is coming back.
- I am looking for a job.
- I am about to be a non-student student. That is, I am not done but will lose most every “privilege” that comes with being a student. Like the ability to use the health clinic.
- I’m not happy with much of anything on this blog in a long time. E.g., if WP is to be trusted then no one has linked to me since that idiocy about e-book week back in February and I can’t say I blame ’em. That wasn’t even a conversation I wanted to have and it probably got more links than any other post except a Carnival post.
- My son is heading back to this fucked up war of ours. Yes, it is ours. Yours and mine. And it is still going on lest you have failed to notice recently.
- And I am terrified that I will deal with this no better than the first time.
Everything is not bad, to say the least, which is why I changed negativity to lack of positivity above.
- I have been seriously enjoying the flowers and trees as they bloom.
- I have been enjoying taking photos of them and actually learning to use my camera a bit (which has greatly helped).
- I have been enjoying laughing at all the people complaining about the weather. Yes, even my friends.
- I have a book reviewing gig for a prominent publication.
- I was complaining to Allen Renear about an example in an article and he fully agreed with me that the authors blew it on that one.
- I saw many of my far flung friends Sunday at Commencement.
- I got a nice compliment from a ravishing woman Sunday.
Heavenly wine and roses
seem to whisper to me when you smile
Lou Reed – Sweet Jane
There’s just too much thinking going on in my head and I basically have no one to talk about it with. And this blog is not the place to do so for most of it.
So. There you have it. I’m being quiet and that is probably best. In fact, best would be to strip out 90% of this post.
I do want my friends to know, though, that I do love them deeply. I am not trying to avoid anyone and would not resent anyone checking in with me if they desire to. No promises on speed or length of reply though. I already owe a couple people a response.
All in all, I’m actually pretty good. I am not depressed right now. Just not exuding a lot of positive vibes lately. And I need to reserve those for the job search and, more importantly, for my friends.
But I won’t let it change me, not if I can
I’d rather believe in love
and give it away as much as I can
To those that I am fondest of
Allen Reynolds – Dreaming My Dreams with You
As for the good, I need to say a very special “Thank you!” to an amazing person I am honored to call friend. We spent a good 5 1/2 hours talking last night. She let me bitch and moan. We talked about the good(s), too. We talked about things I just do not talk about with anybody. And then she let me into a special piece of her world. Thank you!
i search your profile for a translation
i study the conversation like a map
’cause i know there is strength
in the differences between us
and i know there is comfort
where we overlap
Ani DiFranco ¤ overlap ¤ out of range