This post will cover my 2017 Reading Challenges and goals, as I know of them going into the year.
Generic goals: [xx = # finished in 2016]
- More poetry; re-reading encouraged here 
- More erotica, sex & gender 
- More literature 
- More librariana [1 in progress; slowly]
- Translations same-ish 
- More ebooks 
- Nonfiction same-ish 
- More essays and short stories [1?, unknown for sure]
Books currently reading being read [2017curr]
Finish all 4 of the books I am supposedly currently reading.
- Hornsey – Alcohol and its role in the evolution of human society
- Glushko, et al. – The Discipline of Organizing
- Wellings – Why Can’t I Meditate?
- Calvino – Six Memos for the Next Millennium
2017 Books To Read Challenge (personal) [2017poss]
“… total of 85 books (which includes some 8 on pause) I challenge myself to complete 2 from each of the 16 categories and a total of 35”
2017 “the looking all around list” Self-Reading Challenge [2017look]
At least 30 of 40 categories read in.
2017 A Novel Idea selection (Deschutes Public Library, Bend, OR)
Homecoming by Yaa Gyasi [A Novel Idea] I finished this on 01 January 2017 and it was excellent.
2016-2017 Author! Author! Literary Series
- Dave Eggers : 19 January 2017 [not reading anything for this]
- Anthony Doerr : 4 February 2017 : All the Light We Cannot See
- Siddhartha Mukherjee : 10 April 2017 : The Emperor of All Maladies
Categories I am tracking in 2017:
- biography / memoir
- Central Oregon
- graphic novels
- on pause
- post 2016 election
- sex & gender
- short stories
- tech & software [2016poss only]
- YA & children
Challenges hosted elsewhere
2017 Goodreads Challenge
My goal is 100 this year, same as last year.
2017 10th Annual Graphic Novel/Manga Challenge [2017gnc]
24 for Bronze Age
The next two I also did last year and hope to do again but I have yet to see if they are being hosted so these are placeholders for now. The reason I am putting these here considering they are already included in my goals is that they require me to write reviews to get credit. I do not review every book I read but I do want to try to get many written so these goals/challenges help with that.
Update 03 January 2017: It does not appear these challenges are happening this year. The host has not posted anything at their blog since October and has not answered any comments regarding this year’s challenges. [I certainly hope things are OK in their lives.]
So I will redo these on my own terms.
Nonfiction Reading Challenge 2017 [2017nfc]
Master level 16-20 books (top)
Read a minimum of 50 nonfiction books and review a minimum of 25 of these.
Books in Translation Reading Challenge 2017 [2017trans]
Linguist 10-12 books (top)
Read a minimum of 16 translations and review a minimum of 12 of these.
So … lots of diversity in my 2017 reading goals. I am looking forward to this year of reading.